Special Education/PPS

Important News from the Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum, Instruction, and Pupil Personnel

The lead teacher/case manager serves an important role for you and your child. This person is the liaison between you and your child’s team of teachers and staff. Please talk with this person to develop a method of communication that works best for you and them.

Please remember that at any time, if you have any questions or concerns regarding your child’s program and/or Individualized Education Program (IEP), please communicate with your child’s lead teacher/case manager. You can also request a team meeting at any time. 

We hope this website will orient you to pupil services and special education in the Spackenkill Union Free School District. Spackenkill has a long and proud history of supporting students, families and the staff who work with them. We want you to learn about who we are, what we do and how we can serve you.

Definition of Pupil Personnel Services [PPS]:

Those legally required services that enable students to benefit from the instructional program, such as, nursing, guidance, psychology, social work and special education. Pupil services staff serves all children in the district, including general education students, students with disabilities, pupils at risk and students who are gifted. [Yes, students may be gifted and have disabilities, i.e., physical and learning.]

Child Find Statement

The Spackenkill Union Free School District recognizes its responsibility to provide a free and appropriate public education to eligible students with disabilities within its geographical boundaries. The District has a “child find” process that is designed to locate, identify, and evaluate children with disabilities residing within its geographical boundaries preschool through grade 12 or through age 21 if they have not received a high school diploma.

If you know of a child who lives within the boundaries of the Spackenkill Union Free School District and attends school in the District who may be in need of special education and/or related services, please contact the District’s Office of Pupil Personnel Services for further information regarding the referral and evaluation process.

If the student is a school age student who attends a non-public private school that is not located within the geographical boundaries of the School District, the student may need to be referred to the school district in which the non-public school is located in order to receive services during the regular school year. Please contact that school district for information regarding time deadlines for request of services.

The District’s Child Find process extends to students with physical or mental impairments that substantially limit a major life activity. Such students may be eligible for services or accommodations pursuant to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Section 504 is a Federal civil rights statute that prohibits discrimination against persons with disabilities in programs receiving federal financial assistance. Please contact your child’s building principal for more information regarding Section 504 eligibility and services.